Sunday, August 11, 2013

Today I learned - Amtrak

Today I learned..
traveling by Amtrak has ups and downs, but I prefer it to traveling than the Greyhound. :)

If you're a college student, or even a high school student on your way to college Amtrak offers a nice membership card that gives you a generous discount. If you opt for their Amtrak Student Advantage Card you can get up to 15% off your purchases through Amtrak! Sounds like a promotion doesn't it?

My hometown is near Los Angeles, and I grew up in the area. By the time I was accepted into my college, I needed to move upstate to Sacremento. Getting there was a bit of a chore because I had to figure out how to around without the luxury of flying to/from each major city. I tried out the Greyhound, and the bus ride was okay.. but it takes FOREVER. When I travel to/from Norcal and Socal the trip can be up to 400 miles long. Not long for some, but gosh.. my butt falls asleep. :(

I didn't start traveling via Amtrak until I was stuck in a Greyhound station in Sacramento at three in the morning.. I learned the hard way what layover meant. Even sleeping on the bus was too uncomfortable for me.. and I usually get along well without complaining too much.

After my experience with the Greyhound, and it's a good service don't get me wrong - I tried Amtrak, and I've been traveling through the service ever since. :) Though transferring between bus and train is a bit of a pain, but at least I'm moving in between transfers with a chance to stretch my legs.

So if you're thinking about traveling, you can't drive, and you can't fly I'd say the Amtrak is one way to go if it services near your area and destination.

Specially if you're a student!

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment