Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Today I Learned - Dumpster Diving

Today I learned..

Dumpster diving has a lot of uses, especially for a college student with little pocket change.

What is dumpster diving? Quite simply it's illegal in most cases if you get caught. ;P But more importantly, it holds true to the phrase, "One person's trash is another's treasure."

Around this time of the year, many people's apartment leases are either expiring, or starting anew, and what that means for tenants moving out is.. they have to figure out what they're going to do with their stuff. I live in a college town, and for many students it's easy to gather a lot of stuff, but it's often difficult to move away and carry all our stuff with us. So what's the next best thing? Either dump the unwanted, or donate one's stuff to other people who might have a use for it.

People are usually pretty good about setting up donation sites around apartment complexes for a passerby to take any unwanted belongings, and I'm no exception. I often find really new furniture, or appliances that are used, but like new and end up saving me a fortune. In fact, many people who live in my city often roam around donation sites, and dumpsters for any new, and almost new items other people needed to toss away - mainly students.

There are also a few other ways to find out if people are giving away stuff in your local area, but my best advice is always bring a friend in case of stranger danger or just to lend you a hand.

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment